PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which transceiver?(looking for old thread or new info).
Old 14th Nov 2006, 21:27
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Icom A22, since having a radio failure in the circuit during one of my first PPL solos.

The headset adaptor for it works fine with every headset I have tried it with.

I also worked out a headset adaptor circuit for it, for use with the aircraft-powered bose-x headsets.

There are various other radios advertised in the American flying mags; about half the size of the UK-sold dinosaurs and waterproof! Unfortunately they apparently can't be openly sold in the UK because they are not "CAA approved". I don't know if this has any regulatory force, although I believe the Govt agency responsible for regulating transmitting equipment (whatever its current name is) has delegated the responsibility for aviation gear to the CAA. I am pretty sure personal imports are not a problem, and once in, nobody will care... Do UK Customs really care? The way to get around any problem would be to buy it via a friend out there, who removes the packaging and describes it as something else on the documentation.

There are also stories going around, originating at certain UK aviation GPS manufacturers, that the CAA approves of NICD batteries but doesn't approve of NIMH ones (how kind of them; what century is this?).