PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which ATPL Ground School?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 21:27
aircockroaches

normann

There are many ways as to how to achieve your JAA ATPL. In addition, there are loads of school scattered around Europe which offer JAA ATPL courses.

If you have no flying experience and would like to achieve a JAA ATPL, you are probably referring to the kind of course which takes you all the way through - and for this, there are two ways to go about it, Integrated or Structured Modular.

If you have some flying experience (i.e. JAA Private Pilot's Licence) then you are probably referring to the Modular ATPL course where you can do any licence or rating you want, in what order you like.

I am assuming that you are in the first case:

Option 1 is going Integrated. This applies only if you can invest large amounts of money in flight training. As far as I know, the only Flight Training Organisations (FTOs) that provide JAA Approved Integrated ATPL training (from zero hours to frozen ATPL) are CABAIR and Flight Training Europe in Jerez. I am not sure about Oxford Aviation Training in the United Kingdom.

Option 2 is going Modular. For this route, you must first obtain a JAA PPL, then study and get passes in all 14 ATPL theory exams. These can be done via distance learning courses with schools such as Bristol.gs or GTS. At this point, all your theory is basically done. What's left is the flying.
Following that you must do the CPL and IR (it does not matter in which order). There are various schools which can train you for the CPL and IR around Europe, and even in the USA (but be careful). Renowned schools for CPL/IR in Europe include (others that I haven't yet mentioned):

United Kingdom
Stapleford Flight Centre
Bristol Flying Centre

Spain
Aerofan
Aeromadrid

Greece
Egnatia Aviation

USA
Orlando Flight Training

Of course, there are loads of other schools around, but these are the well-renowned ones.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.

aircockroaches