PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyslexia ?
Thread: Dyslexia ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 21:25
Dynamic Apathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I know this might sound harsh but there may be a problem with your plans, and only you guys which have dyslexia will work out the answer.

The written exams are hard, but do-able, and I don't doubt for a minute that you would cope and do well

I don't know what the CAA medical branch view is, but let's look at a possible insurmountable hurdle

To get an ATPL you will have to do an IR, and a large part of the IR is reading and interpretting approach and departure plates, and often whilst flying the aircraft on instruments. This means that the plates have to be scan read as part of the overall instrument flying

The PPL, and the CPL are probably well within your capabilities

But, what about the IR and those plates? I would suggest that before you shell out a kings ransom on the ATPL theory course, and then the mortgage on the IR, get yourself some approach plates and be honest with yourselves. Could you get them out and read them, and interpret them in a flying environment

If you can, brilliant

If you can't but at least you might save a boat-load of money.

Please don't take this the wrong way and think I'm just being negative for the sake of it. I think this thread is a good one and asks some very pertinent questions, but I would hate to see you throw money away on the impossible dream.

Let us know how you get on with plate reading, if you haven't done so already, and good luck