PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 14th Nov 2006, 18:25
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretchenfrage
Just analyse these quotes, they somewhat sum up my criticism:
le signal de commande N1 a été élaboré avec le retard démontré précédemment,
(the N1 command signal was processed with the formerly demonstrated delay)

- I do not like a delay, however demonstrated it is, if there’s a solution without.
ce que j'ai assimilé ŕ une non-reprise des moteurs.
(what I correlated with a non-spool up of the engines)

- This is precisely a characteristic of the Airbus system. To make it work to your liking, you sometimes have to disengage the AT (I am not talking about malfunctions). On a Boeing you practically never do this, because you can intervene to cover your liking in AT mode, you would have felt the levers move up (keeping a feedback) and no one would have felt the need (instinctive behaviour in a stress situation) of doing the following:
J'ai alors instinctivement repassé les manettes dans le cran 0, avant de les mettre sur pleins gaz
(I therefore instinctively selected the levers to 0 (idle), before repositioning them to full thrust (TOGA) again.
Your translation is very good, so you may like reading the book of Michel Asseline, the CAPT on this specific flight at Habsheim.
(link is in the previous post ans it's a free download)
There is a lot to learn from it, especially for a bus driver.
The quote I've inserted in the previous post is from that book and it relates part of the chronology of the Habsheim flight just before the crash.
This flight showed some dysfunctions, one of them was related to the A/THR, another was related to the VSV (valve that regulates airflow in the engines).
So you will understand these actions and slow response were not standard on that flight.
Remember, 320 operation was brand new at that time, and Airbus had chosen to certify this revolutionary technology in only 1200 hours test flight ...
What happened is that the 320 was not ready yet to enter service ...
In normal ops, spool up time on 737 or 320 must be similar as they probably share common engine types.
But you're right: disconnect A/THR on 320 takes little thinking before action, and everybody get caught once at least.