PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossover Speed
Thread: Crossover Speed
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 17:43
atrflyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossover Speed

Hi all, I have a question for all you people out there who are smarter than me.

I completed my first jet type rating this past September and it was on the 737 (200). As it is known that the type has suffered a few accidents due to rudder hard over it is part of our sim training to train this manoeuvre.

In the aircraft ops manual there is a blurb about Crossover Speed. Now I had heard of this term before and indeed it applies to all aircraft but my question (s) is this.

Is there a formula for determining what the speed will actually be? Specifically for the 737 if that makes a difference.

If the formula is one that would require a calculator is there a quick way of getting a ruff number? i.e: 250 kts IAS = 2500 Lbs FF per eng, or mach .74 = Alt x 2 + 20 made into the EPR. That kind of thing…

What, if any are some of the factors that affect it? ( other than how far the rudder displaced ) although the statement says full rudder input and I am sure ( but could be wrong ) things like weight and air density would make a difference also.

I will include the statement from the manual for those out there that may not know what I am asking about, and to make sure it is actually correctly worded.

Crossover Speed is the speed that requires FULL lateral roll control from ailerons & spoilers to counter roll due to Yaw caused by FULL rudder input. At speeds less than crossover speed with FULL rudder input the roll induced by the rudder starts to exceed the lateral control authority of the ailerons and spoilers.

Cheers all and have a great day.