PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many professional pilots are also spotters?
Old 14th Nov 2006, 17:43
Avrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly I think over here in Germany there must be quite a few pilots, who are also spotters.

Example: The A 380 approached Düsseldorf on Sunday and there were according to our TV a few "delays" caused by pilots, who were eager to see the Airbus. I cannot judge upon it because I am no pilot and I was not there either. I did not bother to get up at 4 am on Sunday to get a good place in the first row to the observation deck. About 70.000 - 100.000 people did. That was quite enough. I am relying on the media in this case, perhaps there might be some truth in it.

I have just read a forum comment about this matter from a so called LH BAe pilot, who had a regional flight going from EDDL on Sunday around that time. He talked about definitely taking his camera along. I guess that would be considered as spotting.
Just wrote the word "so called" because one has to be cautious, although I do not wish to consider him a liear. The forum was a hobby flight simulator forum (for the home computer) and his profile also said that he was LH BAe pilot. I guess it might be true. My two cents are just that he committed in this case an even more serious "crime". Just kidding of course, but I made the experience in this forum that people using their home computer as gaming platform are bashed for it. Even more than spotters. So a pilot doing that and being a spotter would for people be kind of a... well *insert suiting word here*

For me it is normal. Most people became pilots because of an interest in the matters of flying. Of the recent flying students many might have had or perhaps still have software products on their computer and many photos on their hard drive as well.

About myself: I for my part do not really call myself a spotter. I do not do it professionally and I do not really collect those pictures. I just also take my DigiCam along to work sometimes (I work for a contractor company at the airport).

Last edited by Avrel; 14th Nov 2006 at 18:11.