PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final approach speeds
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 14:51
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NigelOnDraft
I have flown in and out of LHR for nearly 12 years. I can confidently state I have never flown 160 to 4D, nor have ever seen anyone do so.
Are you sure about that NoD? I flew the 319 for 5 years (perhaps including a tour with you) and 160 to 4 is achievable unless you are very light (in which case I always mentioned the Vapp to Director). It requires flap 3 and the gear down with the power up then a judicious timing of the managed speed selection at somewhere between 4.5 - 4d so that the engines go to idle and you cross 4d with the speed at 160kts but the green arrow pointing down. Granted this was tricky when the engines had to be at power at 1000ft but once that requirement was removed and idle power at 1000ft was permissible it became a doddle.

Originally Posted by Bearcat
which is more important?....using speed brake to slow for 180 to 160 with insignif noise consequences....or do nothing and grimice and watch the speed painstakingly slow to 160....by that time your at 4 miles......
Have you flown an A319? Using the speedbrake at 180kts produces a lot of noise, an uncomforable nose down pitching moment and does absolutely nothing to your speed. The only thing that slows an A319 effectively below 200kts is the gear.