PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final approach speeds
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 14:05
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30W
- just because you put the 'Gear Down' doesn't mean you MUST slow below 160kt! Configure as required before 4d except for final landing flap, but MAINTAIN 160kt to 4d. At 4d reduce and complete landing config. With the gear already down, speed will reduce perfectly well to complete a stabilised approach.
You have obvously never flown a A319 and have to comply with BA's "stable by 1000'" criteria

I have flown in and out of LHR for nearly 12 years. I can confidently state I have never flown 160 to 4D, nor have ever seen anyone do so. It maybe BA only, but we ALL slow up early - we have to (usually slow from 160K ~4.5d - 5d). 120.4 is raising a valid point that what ATC expect, and our SOPs are not compatible... and Mode S and whatever changes are inbound to LHR will highlight these differences, and something will have to change...

You should not be in a position where every approach requires speedbrake to comply with a profile... apart from it destabilising the approach, the tree huggers would rightly jump up and down