PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final approach speeds
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 13:25
jumbowanabee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Janspeed
Generally from 250-220 kts for the hold (eg Ock) that speed usually implies Flaps 1 setting as mnm clean can go up to +235 kts.......
235Kts is a typical clean speed for a B744 at high landing weights. I have frequently requested a higher speed before entering a hold, even up to 240 kts. Providing ATC know it is not a problem. There has never been occasion when such a request was refused. This may not be the case at other airports such as EGKK. The argument regarding an inability to advise ATC is without foundation. There are plenty of occasions before becoming established when you are able to advise of your operational requirements. Tag it onto the end of a readback. There is no excuse for accepting a clearence and then knowingly not comply with it. You wouldn't cross the NAT tracks at .84 when your clearence is .86. Is there no flexibility on SOP's? Our company SOP is to cruise at ECON speed. If ATC request a specific speed then I will do my best to comply. If your Company SOP is to put the gear down and flap XX and fly the required bug speed at a specific point then frankly there is no hope!!!