PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 13:03
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, maybe it's all coming to a head at last - What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander - and the Groundcrew walking out is just as damning as when all the Aircrew walked out, due to pay and conditions!.

It was said, before I left the RAF, that you can't expect to get engineers in, or to stay in, if you pay them the same as cooks, rocks and coppers. This, and the reduction in manpower and increase in workload is starting to take its Toll.

Hopefully, engineers will get some "retention pay" to try and persuade those remaining to stay in too. Though, from what I see, I think it is too late for that to be effective.

As for two years Cpl-to-Sgt? - that has been in force since Time Promotion went out in the 70's. You may see much more of younger "S" NCO's with the amount of experience you would expect a Cpl to have. No more than that of a young Flt Lt.

To the people that said there is reduced amount of aircraft (so less work?) - and that if need "he" can buy some engineers in - To55ers!

Watch the budget go up and the service come down.