PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 14th Nov 2006, 10:27
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CF
Sorry, I got a little upset.
It’s the constant battering by Airbus and it’s home crowd that gets to me and it shouldn’t. By battering I mean:
“you should have … not done this … rather done that … checked that … known better … read this … not followed ECAM in that case … done the QRH … not done the summaries … etc. etc.”
- Extremely wise words for afterwards.
I said it before and repeat myself: Not being the perfect pilot, I sometimes forget or screw up. Recovery is the magic word. To be able to do just that, in due time, I want a partner, mechanical or human, that’s simple and doesn’t give me a hard time. Any more sophisticated solution, programm or any more intellectual by-seater (or worse back- seater), both of them taking me longer to grasp, might be a enrichement for leisure hours and philosophy. But I definitely prefer the simple and fast to understand other option for my professional flying business, because I believe it gives me the better chance of survival.
Just analyse these quotes, they somewhat sum up my criticism:
le signal de commande N1 a été élaboré avec le retard démontré précédemment,
(the N1 command signal was processed with the formerly demonstrated delay)

- I do not like a delay, however demonstrated it is, if there’s a solution without.
ce que j'ai assimilé ŕ une non-reprise des moteurs.
(what I correlated with a non-spool up of the engines)

- This is precisely a characteristic of the Airbus system. To make it work to your liking, you sometimes have to disengage the AT (I am not talking about malfunctions). On a Boeing you practically never do this, because you can intervene to cover your liking in AT mode, you would have felt the levers move up (keeping a feedback) and no one would have felt the need (instinctive behaviour in a stress situation) of doing the following:
J'ai alors instinctivement repassé les manettes dans le cran 0, avant de les mettre sur pleins gaz
(I therefore instinctively selected the levers to 0 (idle), before repositioning them to full thrust (TOGA) again.

I give every credit to all you guys who feel completely at ease with the Airbus. Some of you surprise me every single day with your extensive knowledge about it and its use.
Myself I have been taken by surprise by it twice, which scared the bejeesus out of me. Let me stay very sceptical, as I am still flying these birds, and let us hope we will not get caught out by them.
Back to the numerous FCOM’s, AOM’s, QRH’s, Memo’s, Notam’s ……………
GF