PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 14th Nov 2006, 07:18
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
FIVE GREENS
Don't forget suckin arse, towing the company line, and putting your family second ! Where do I get "street smarts" from ?
Street smarts, jungle savvy. Call it what you like, Don't rock the boat.
Oh and yes I guess a certain amount of suckin arse is required. Tell em what they want to hear, after you pass you can say what the hell you want.

See now that is the whole problem right there. If you speak out against the training system this is how you are thought of !
Mate as an FO keep your opinions to yourself, it's not fair I know but for your own sake tow the line. Change the system as a Captain later if you have to. This is what I mean by playing the game. Our managers hate being told what to do by anyone, especially FO's !!

I and all my mates are "playing the game" as best as we know, but unless you have been personally affected and you lack an empathy gene then I guess I am banging my head against a rock wall ?
Yes I have the "empathy" gene.
Not to belittle the improved rate on the 777 but you must look at yearly averages not just a good week or two. The meer fact that one fleet has a better pass rate than another by such a margin should prove to you that the system needs some tweeking.
I can only speak from personal experience on the 400 and 777 fleet.
That again is one of the problems not a solution. SOPs are SOPs. Some people are checking using convention and opinion as SOPs. Fine great as a comment in de-brief but not as a negative write up in your ERAS.
NO, this is part of the solution, why do you think the training dept put this paragraph in????? because they recognised that some trainers were pushing their opinions onto students as fact/must do things and it needed addressing.
Don't underestimate our training managers, they know how their training/checking Captains "mark their students" and they adjust their thinking accordingly.
FIVE GREENS I don't totally disagree with you thoughts, you make some valid points.
Maybe the 777 has a much better bunch of training guys? ( i am not one of them ) The 777 has a a nearly perfect record for a long time now. Is that a reflection of the 777 a/c? or a reflection on what the trainers write in their ERAS reports? The poison pen syndrome is alive and well, no doubt about it.
I'm just trying to put my side of the argument, me and a lot of others that have passed command ( and there are a lot of us ) managed to scrape through somehow. Maybe it was luck? I dunno but i'm here.
We could sit here and debate it for a long time, the fact is this is what we have here in Cx, love it or hate it.
Come to the 777, we'll look after you.