PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class C radar direction
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2006, 05:06
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PAF who do I think should pay for the system?

Well given that the entire aviation infrastructure is a natural monopoly and arguably essential national infrastructure, the bulk of which was initially paid for by tax payers over the perceeding decades I would suggest it should be paid for by the national Govt.

That they would then seek to recapture some or all of that expense is not unreasonable.

As such I would suggest the US system is a very fair one.

Every passenger pays a small levy on their ticket...it would only amount to a few $ each. This is in fact what the airlines essentially do already as they have the ability to pass on costs in this manner.

'Non revenue' GA pay a small fuel levy...in the US it amounts to a few cents a gallon.

If this was done instead of privatising airports it would, without doubt, be cheaper for ALL concerned, pax and operators alike, because you wouldn't have corporations like MacBank gouging every cent they can out of the airports.

How many tickets are sold anually on the airlines...50 million, 100 million?

$2 or $3/ticket and the entirety of CASA and AsA would be fully funded and a dividend returned to consolidated revenue to waste any way the Govt of the day sees fit....or they could plow it back into making the system better for all Australians...more jobs in relatively well paid jobs like...oh I don't know...engineering, ATC etc etc...Riiight

As to GST?

Once upon a time the states were funded, mostly, from general federal tax revenues. Then the GST was introduced and many state taxes were supposed to dissappear...but many didn't.

Whatever way you cut it extra taxation revenue has been raised by the federal govt (LOTS) and it is used instead of the taxes we were paying before to fund the states...only problem is we are all essentially STILL paying the same personal tax as we were before...give or take a % or 2.

Buy a house and the thieving c&*t$ want 10's of thousands of $ in stamp duty...what is stamp duty BTW? I am fecking sure it doesn't really cost that much to 'stamp duty' a house...and why does it cost twice as much to 'stamp duty' a $400k house as a #200k house?

1/5th of my aircraft insurance policy is taxes...about $500 EACH for GST and stamp duty.

I pay 13+ cents a liter in GST on avgas. If you own a car in Australia you are paying 10% GST on fuel excise!!!...that's gotta be worth 5 cents a liter all by itself. On top of that fuel GST and the GST on the fuel excise you pay all sorts of $ in stamp duties when you register/insure your car.

Australians are being ripped off left and right.

I have no problem paying for what I use...I object in the strongest terms to paying 4 or 5 times.

Just what will it take for the population to wake up?