PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ireland - UK, Passport Required?
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2006, 15:40
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
The Irish government started, just a few years ago, requesting and then demanding passports at Irish airports on arrival from the UK. This appears to be against the Common Travel Area agreement but that fact seems ignored. It started when continental arriving flights began to be operated into areas of Dublin airport which were previously only used by UK flights, then it spread more generally.
This is true in part, although I would say that on a couple of occasions when I've had to come through immigration control in Dublin using my UK photocard licence while my passport has been away getting a visa, there hasn't been any problem.

I do accept, though, that this means in principle "free travel between Britain and Ireland for British and Irish nationals as long as you have a photocard driving licence" which is unsatisfactory - you shouldn't have to change your paper licence to a photocard one (or indeed apply for a second passport) to be able to avail of the Common Travel Area. As for Ryanair, you're quite right that the name of the game is revenue protection rather than security. Getting between them and their revenue is IMHO akin to getting between a lioness and her cubs.