PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many professional pilots are also spotters?
Old 13th Nov 2006, 15:21
hobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I am ashamed to be a spotter because at my local airport, there are certain spotters/individuals who give what we do a bad name!
What on earth do they do to that I wonder .....

I pop down to our local strip if anything interesting is around .... sadly times are changing ..... security has just about eliminated one of the best spotting sites I've ever seen and a photo like the one I took years ago is sadly just a memory ....

One of the things I've noticed about the real pro's in the spotting world is they seem to have the best cam's .... scanners etc ... and virtually nothing coming/going is unknown to them .... the most inconspicuous exec jet etc can suddenly arrive for a splash and dash before crossing the atlantic and these guys seem to know everything about it, even the owner etc etc .... never failed to be impressed by their depth of knowledge .....

I've always though one of the benefits of having lots of spotters around an Airport is they would be the first to call the "Polite men" in the event of anyone being seen on a Sabotage attempt ..... our local Airfield specializes in attracting guys and gals hell bent on holding Anti-war prayer meetings in the middle of the airfield ........