PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Economy Long Haul - Best carrier ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2006, 10:57
BurglarsDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all.

Please keep the comments coming. Always useful to know as much info about the variables before booking. Have now learnt that the A340-500 has a very useful IFE and that the second jet out of HK is likely to give you a bit of personal space. My tip of the day - If you ever want to get fed before the pack and go to sleep asap (at least on Emirates) choose a "special needs meal" through the net booking system and your sorted about 40 mins before the rest!
As an aside - Define "Best Economy Carrier"?
When choosing do you consider:

Cost only
Flight duration times
Flight Departure Times
Connection times
Seat size
Cabin creature comforts -IFE systems
Likelihood of seeing at least one attendant on patrol at all times (and not all down the back gassing)
Type and age of aircraft (777/200 or 777/300) - 2 or 4 engines?
Company safety culture / history
Cockpit CRM

and in what order of priority?

Personally I dont worry too much about a few hundred bucks between fare prices. But, having done several flight safety courses, I tend to subconsciously focus on the safety aspects of a flight, and prefer a newer aircraft with a good company maintenance programme and crew that sound as though they understand CRM even if local culture doesnt always facilitate it.

Intrigued about the promise of being treated in the special "Australian" way as promised by MLF at Qantas!! : MLF Please expand!!

DogGone (Well not yet)