PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 4
Thread: Ryanair - 4
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2006, 10:41
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rallye EI-BFP
Cork-Dublin is around 60% loading.....not bad in terms of a B738.....
60% is actually pretty dire for a low-cost carrier (Ryanair's October network-wide average was 83%). It might be redeemed by high yields but, given the competition from train and plane on this route, I'm not sure about that.

If I look on skyscanner for Dublin-Cork & v.v. flights tomorrow (imagine I'm a business person needing to travel from Cork to Dublin at the last minute for an urgent meeting - the kind of passenger the revenue managers LOVE ), there's only one Ryanair flight selling at more than EUR31 including taxes. That doesn't suggest stellar route yields to me.

I think FR is on that route more to stop Aer Arann getting cheeky elsewhere than because it's hugely profitable for them. (Of course they can get good yields on a couple of the Friday/Sunday flights, for the Jazz Festival, etc - but so can anyone. The challenge is having a reasonable average yield and load factor all week, and all year - and if your 60% figure is accurate, it seems to me that FR ain't achieving either on DUB-ORK.

Brgds
C.