PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toronto area schools, anyone?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2001, 19:27
Squawk 8888

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The City Centre Airport is nice but getting there is a hassle. I hate waiting for the ferry and the extra toll that I have to pay.</font>
Well, it's the easiest to get to if, like me, you fly but don't drive - the ferry dock is just 1 block from the streetcar stop.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Oh, forgot to mention about the parking, it is expensive.</font>
True, but not as bad as it appears. Island Air validates for the lot next to the dock, so their students & renters can park all day for five buck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Markham airport is far from the downtown area but is close to the practice area. The runway is short (2000') and is in pretty rough shape.</font>
True. They had their licence pulled a few years ago and were shut down for a while- during the shutdown the owner allowed our rocket club and an R/C club to use the field. Made for some rather interesting times- it's so close to the practice area that some students would use it for approaches while we were launching

There are some politically motivated improvements in the works there, including a second runway. Local officials and TC are getting tired of the whining from Buttonville's owner (the perennial threat to shut down if subsidies aren't forthcoming) so they're helping out Markham to try and shut them up.