PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which way round to do training?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2006, 22:05
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davey147
Thanks for the info guys, ill go for the CPL first. I don't need an instrutor rating as I have a FO job lined up with an airline flying 737's, its always a backup though I suppose!
Being told to come back when you have a professional licence is not quite the same thing as "having an F/O job lined up". It is true that networking is a very useful resource and it has been instrumental in many people achieving their goals, however it is nonsense to suggest that CV's "just go in the bin", they are the primary method used in pilot selection.

The problem for someone starting out is that it is a pyramid in so much as there are a lot of people with low levels of experience competing for the jobs that are being offered by airlines, who in turn want the best candidates with the best experience. Although the marketplace adjusts itself periodicaly to the levels of supply and demand, it has always been this way.

Airlines do not "line up" jobs for PPL holders with ambition even when those PPL holders may be related to current long serving employees, and although such connections may be an advantage they are very, very far removed from any semblance of a guarantee.

As a PPL holder, you have a lot of hoops to jump through before you are even qualified to take your place alongside the thousands of qualified low hour wannabes with whom you eventually hope to compete. It is of course good to ask questions, but your posting history does rather suggest a basic understanding of the requirements, and doesn't really suggest why 737 operators would be "lining up" jobs for you ?

The best advice I can offer is to listen carefully to those "back ups" rather than getting peoples backs up, which are again two very different things but worthy of some thought.