PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 12th Nov 2006, 15:11
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirkou
Hello
I've been flying during the last 2 years a B767-300ER. It was my first aircraft as a pilot and I enjoyed it a lot: simple to understand, easy to understand scan flows and routines and a reliable aircraft.
Now I'm starting the A320 type rating.
Question: from you experienced folks that flew both a Boeing and an Airbus, what are the main differences between them from the pilot point of view?
What suggestions do you have for me to be more efficient while studying?
Tks. Andre

Typed on the 707/727/737/757/767.. and 320.

I enjoyed the -320. Study so you know what the airplane is telling you and what mode it is in. The FMS is different so it will take some time to acclimate.

The side stick and non-moving throttles are a non-issue. You will find yourself spending more time actually looking at the instruments versus getting info from autothrottle tactile feel which may be wrong as they move whether the engine is still cooking or not.

The side stick eliminates the obstruction in seeing your displays. And once you learn to go back to your initial flight instruction of flying with your fingers you will find the 'bus a simple airplane to fly.

In windshear, you just pull aft... no hunting max AOA.. and no hunting for the 'nibble'.

Crosswinds, always an issue with new guys to the 'bus... remember the sidestick commands a roll *rate* rather than a fixed aileron position. So doing the cross control doesn't work well.

The Radio Management Units (RMU) can be confusing at first. Just think before you push buttons which is a good rule in any airplane.

And finally, do the same thing with the 'bus as with any other airplane.. play to the strengths, respect the weaknesses and then bid for the trips that pay the most, have the best layovers and the nicest flight attendants. Everything else is just parochial arguments.