PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatigue theory over Islander air rescue deaths
Old 12th Nov 2006, 13:00
Mr Moustache

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report makes for some sober reading.
As an ex-LC amb pilot, I was once in a similiar position. I came back off leave to find myself out of 28 day currency/recency. I advised Ops and was told to come in slighty early for my afternoon airport standby and get myself current again. I told them that I would fly over to Cumbernauld, do a couple of circuits than come back to GLA for an ILS. This was agreed to without hestitation.

To be out of currency at the start of night standby is not smart. Generally you only got called out from night standby if there was an element of urgency about it and that puts pressure on you. To have to get current first probably put him in the position of doing the dead minimum. One visual night circuit at GLA in heavy rain is not enough to get happy again after 32 days without flying. Add the fact that he had been up 17 hours at the start of the approach and you have someone not able to give of their best. Add some serious IMC (low cloud) and things are stacking up.

I shall take his death (and that of his crew, the paramedic) as a reminder about the effects of fatigue. Sad though.

Last edited by Mr Moustache; 12th Nov 2006 at 13:04. Reason: spelling!