PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2006, 10:28
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yozzer
You know this may actually be exactly what the RAF want. Join at age 18, leave (through choice) at 40, and have a young (fit) fighting force........
I've actually heard senior people suggesting just that. I understand that the MOD are about to spend billions on a new flying training system that reduces the time it takes to get crews onto the front line - but all that's going to do is bring forward the date at which pilots get their exemptions for a civilian licence, and hence, the date at which they can PVR. Wouldn't it be far better to spend that money on retaining people?

Originally Posted by Yozzer
The weak link would then be recruitment, not retention. I think the days of short term solutions (FRI) may well be over.
Recruitment X Retention = The Service Strength

To keep a constant Service Strength, if Retention drops then Recruitment has to rise. The trouble is that it costs millions to train a military pilot. So I agree with you Yozzer, I think we're beyond the point at which an FRI would help; people need to be assured that they will have a competitive wage when they are in their 40s if they are to be persuaded to stay during their 30s. FRI's don't give that assurance. Neither does the PA spine; especially if you're good and have been promoted to sqn ldr.