PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - white poppy
Thread: white poppy
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2006, 13:40
GlosMikeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm finding this a quite unusual thread.

The only poppy worthy of being worn is red in my view. I can see no justification for a white one, despite all the arguments put; but in the interest of freedom, not least of speech, I suppose I'm prepared to tolerate it at arm's length on a live and let live basis. That doesn't mean anyone who wears one has my respect. Indeed they do not.

That said, there is perhaps just one instance - and I do mean perhaps, for I am not completely convinced - where someone might wear a white poppy and we should hold them in the same regard and respect as those of us who have and do Serve and wear red ones.

The one instance is where someone concientiously objected to bearing arms but took all the same risks as those who do or did, by enlisting to Serve as doctors, nurses, stretcher bearers, padres and the like and did not flinch from front line operational service when called to it. They are as deserving of our remembrance and respect as any who bore arms: they took the same risks.

This leaves the category of those concientious objectors who simply refuse to do anything to support their fellow contrymen. They are cowards and to be derided, ignored and forgotten at the first opportunity.

My first and last post on this thread - that is to say, my views won't change so you can like them or lump them.