PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 11th Nov 2006, 12:48
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 149 Likes on 30 Posts
Perhaps I'm not in position to comment as I've only ever flown the Airbus narrowbody series. I've flown the B737-300 simulator a few times - and enjoyed it despite having only used a side stick for the last 8 years!

I train on the Bus and many of the guys (and gals) I train are converting from the 737. Almost without exception the preferred platform is the Bus. A much better office than the 737NG and no comparison with the 733 is the usual comment. The Bus does do things a bit differently but in the normal day to day operation of the aircraft it is straight forward once you understand it. When you have problems the ECAM covers 95% of issues BUT it does require discipline, a methodical approach and good crew teamwork.

The Bus is a self monitoring aircraft - it will look after you to a certain extent. For example if you don't put the Packs on after T/O you'll get an ECAM caution. If you're flying round single engine without the fuel x-feed open you'll get an ECAM caution before you run the tank dry. The comments about protections..... well my car has got 6 airbags. I don't plan on using them but it's nice to know they are there! Probably the most useful protection for day to day operations is knowing that if you get a hard GPWS "Pull up" You can just hit TOGA and pull the stick the whole way back, instantly, without worrying. Did it recently in the sim and hit 11,000 FPM

The side stick and FBW are great. Sidestick doen not take long to master and the self trimming makes it a very easy aircraft to fly. I've read the comments about being not being able to monitor the other guys inputs due to no S/S feedback - and it's true, your monitoring channel is now purely a visual one. However, this has never caused me a problem.

Go in with an open mind, embrace the philosophy - don't fight it and you will see the Airbus is an excellent product.

A4