PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatigue theory over Islander air rescue deaths
Old 11th Nov 2006, 11:20
Meeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

bral and waaf, thank you for your comments. The reason for my last statement was merely because it was a statement of fact! I cannot think of any airline in the UK who has lost 3 hulls in the last 10 years, thats why I said it must make one think... surely? Safety culture, well, that opens a whole new can of worms and after the MT accident there was a changing of the guard, so maybe, but if so, it leaves many more questions...

bilderberger, you really need to read my post a little more carefully...

'Meeb', don't quite get your point that you don't agree with the report's findings !
I did not say I don't agree with the reports findings, I said I did not agree with the whole report, a significant error on your behalf.

Then you mention that this accident had similarities to the accident to G-BEDZ, which I had already stated in my post, did you even bother to read my post at all...?? If you had, you might have seen that I was alluding to the same conclusion, but with a very different prognosis.

Those in the know will realise that it would not have been a difficult approach in the weather conditions of that evening
then...

In my opinion the pilot may have tried to convert to a visual approach during the turn and lost sight again of visual references
I do not agree with that at all! The weather conditions were not suitable for a visual approach, the weather conditions were rapidly deteriorating with lowering cloud base and reducing visibilty. The report states that the Pilot would be in a situation of high workload, increased somewhat by the weather, and because it was in darkness, therefore difficult.

Machrihanish is not in the Western Isles, it is on the Kintyre Peninsula which is a region of the mainland of Scotland. It is a long road journey to get to a fully equiped hospital and so the air ambulance is frequently used.

I agree it is a common destination for air ambulance flights, but to suggest that this, or indeed any mission to a remote airfield in poor weather was routine, is simply not true, and confirms your lack of knowledge on this subject.

When I operated the BN2 on air ambulance missions no flight was ever routine... how ridiculous to even say such a thing, especially when a fine gentleman and aviator lost his life during this mercy mission.

People like you who pontificate on PPRuNe about things you know nothing about really p*ss me off....