PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 22:52
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dismal

And so the latest passenger figures press excuse sheet has been revealed, passenger numbers down 7.7% in Oct due to the continuing effects of the latest security scare. Now would that be the situation back in August where other UK airports saw monthly pax growth dip to single or low double digit figures (for just a month or so, most are now back on track for a record 2006) or has there been another security alert affecting only the BHX catchment area that I am not aware of........

Truly this is BHXs annus horriblis and you know the worst thing about it - there seems to be no end to the misery. Babys much vaunted big expansion has so far amounted to well nothing but more route duplication (and can we expect CDG and PGF as the routes to complete their so called 'many new destinations' announcement back in Oct?). There aren't even any RUMOURS about new routes/operators, let alone hard evidence of route expansion (to NEW destinations). As for Flywho and Birmingham European, what a joke. All this while other most other UK airports, quite rightly, due to the foresight of their management, rack up new routes and offer the combination of airlines and destinations that passengers in their catchment area want - and USE. BHX's European network frankly is bland, boring and, give or take, little different to that of 10 years ago. Yes, size isn't everything and number of destinations served does not equate to a successful business operated in airport terms. However, failure to offer anything new and move forward to keep abreast of where passengers want to fly to does not bode well for the future. Why has BHX allowed airlines to totally saturate certain routes (GLA, EDI, ABZ etc) whilst not maintaining and developing links that befit the UKs second city eg to ARN, FCO, BUD, WAW??

Perhaps the BACON/Flybe deal may offer a way out of what seems to be terminal decline, there is mention on Flybes regional press release for BHX of new East European services. However, what airline Press say and airline Ops etc actually do are seemingly two very different things. Its a very long shot that BE (whether alone or combined with BACON) will offer the routes that BHX so desperately needs to stay competitive with other airports.

I am very sad to see the way BHX has ended up (don't get me started on the state of T1 or the farcical runway never will happen extension). It really could be so good - but I'm afraid I saw the fall coming a long time ago. I worked for BIA plc in Diamond House for a number of years, until 2004. LCCs were regarded by many as a passing fad and EMA, LPL and LTN as mere outsiders in the Airports League. Indeed, at the time of the FR 'landing fees situation' (when FR chose to relocate to NEMA), I clearly remember senior managers saying words to the effect of that'll never last, it won't work, even they'll be back................what a pity that those heads are still stuck in the sand, if only they got themselves out they would see perhaps that the ascendency of NEMA (and others) has only just begun....by the way anyone want to take bets on next months pax figures decline excuse - 8.5% down due to unseasonal heatwave in the West Mids area????