PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class C radar direction
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 15:27
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A US air traffic controller from Juneau tower came to PPRuNe. …
....but I doubt if he’d come back on the forum again because controllers in Australia universally rubbished him and said he didn’t know what he was talking about.
… I am not sure he was rubbished, the merits and comparison of their E v’s our C (and I think from fading memory AusNAS E) were discussed. The resulting differences were borne out along similar lines to this discussion … I also seem to remember some discussion regarding VFR broadcast requirements due the lack of surveillance coverage .. stand to be corrected though!
Scurvy.D.Dog, thanks for your great long post. I can see that you have a tremendous interest in this.
… my interest is solely in discharging what I see as my professional responsibility to informed debate on airspace architecture and operations practice in the field for which I am responsible.. nothing more nothing less!. The fact that folks choose this vehicle to engage these discussions is neither here nor there! .. it gives me no pleasure to disagree with other views!
Unfortunately I can’t help you in relation to getting operational controllers over to the USA to see how the system works.
.. that is unfortunate! .. positive outcomes could be achieved by such a process!
Fortunately I travel a lot and I have been able to stand beside the controllers in non-radar towers in many countries in the world. I have also been able to fly in the airspace. From this experience I genuinely believe that the US system is simply the best in the world.
… after all that has happened, and all that has been written here, you clearly hold that view strongly .. fair enough! .. I guess we will have to agree to disagree!
They have an unlimited amount of money to throw at it, they have a litigious society, and they have an extremely high standard of living and some of the lousiest weather conditions.
… it would be nice if our industry also had unlimited money to throw at the issue!
.. and yes, sadly, Australians in ever increasing numbers are adopting that overly sensitive 'glass house' litigious nature! ..it does nothing for our international reputation for 'thick skins' and 'broad shoulders'!
.. perhaps our standard of living in Australia is focused on other, more rewarding things than just money!
.. and thank goodness we do not have their weather!
It is obvious that the airspace would evolve like a Boeing 747 to be incredibly safe and move a tremendous amount of people/aircraft.
… I agree in principal that the US system has evolved through necessity into a unique creature that does handle large volumes of aircraft and people, I am just not certain it is technically ICAO E
P-A-F
.. for fear of missing your point (as this tax stuff is not my thing)
Yes, and the GST I paid on my computer keyboard is covered many times over by any burden I put on Australia by purchasing it. It is a tax. It was put in place to give states a growth tax.
.. errm, isn’t Chuck talking about funding a federal ATM system?
At the moment, ATS is charged to IFR and VFR (landing) via location specific and enroute charges .. IMHO, Chuck’s argument regarding the system and who it primarily caters for is sound (although all users must have access and utility etc), therefore, I agree with him that the US system of funding ATS is the logical method!
Next time you are shopping, ask a random person if you think people flying a light aircraft at the local airport should be exempt from the GST. I'll bet you a carton the answer would be no.
True, however, you would have to explain to that random person that the pilot and owner are paying GST on everything related to that aircraft except ATS?!
… perhaps you would also ask that random person if they think they should be paying GST on their shopping items?
… particularly seeing as the GST
was overdue and well needed.

…. 'growth' tax …. more like a 'goitre'
Night All!