PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 30% pay rise??
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2001, 20:51
Pontius

Cool

There's been much talk about the action (or lack thereof) of BALPA and the previous deal. I'm not a rep, but let's not forget that we have a new and far more determined BACC. They have been busy gathering data on all the airlines and, I'm assured, will be going for a decent rise. The previous, pathetic deal, signed up by the 'old' regime has been taken onboard by the 'newies', who know they will be lynched if they come back with anything like the reduction in pay we got as a result of the stupid Corporate Deal. We all need to make sure we give them our undivided support when it comes to the 'talks' later on in the year.

As for where the money will come from. Circa 200 paypoint 24s retiring this year, to be replaced by pathetically paid TEPs and CEPs. There's a bunch of dosh. What about all the management costs that will be retrieved (allegedly) thanks to the seamless (you've got to hate these management words) integration of CFE and the fact that they will come under BA management (yeah, right). We've already heard about all the computer dudes....oh, no I forgot, thye just wasted countless millions thanks to their marvellous system upgrade. You know, the one that went so smoothly that the whole of BA crashed. That's why we have to pay these experts so much, give them 1st class staff travel and then sub-contract all the important programming anyway. Roobarb hits the nail on the head with the Pravda brigade at Waterworld. I just wish Rod would wake up and get rid of anyone who does not DIRECTLY contribute to the profits.

As to the cabin crew, loaders etc.....I don't care. It might sound really P*&$ poor CRM etc, but I'm not in this game to campaign for their wages. If they can get a rise, good on them, if they can't then they're probably earning too much anyway (not the loaders), but certainly the coffee pourers for the job they do....much more than FOs etc.

I reckon we need to take a long and hard look at how the Colonials across the Pond do these things. We've been too nice for too long and just had the management take the p*&% at every step. We should have gone on strike last time and re-established our position in the big scheme of things. Conceated, maybe, but I'd like to see them run an airline without pilots.

My advice to our BALPA boys and girls. Get the deal sorted before going in. Put it on the table and present it as a fait accompli. There should be no negotiation. This is what the pilots want (having previously established EXACTLY what we do want beforehand) and unless we get it we go on strike. I will certainly be on the picket line, happy to remind our esteemed managers of the pay reduction we've suffered since first giving up money after the Gulf.

And for those who say BA pilots are a greedy, money grabbing bunch, just remember that (a) we are SIGNIFICANTLY underpaid compared to our coleagues in Lufthansa, Air France etc, ie comparable airlines and (b) snobbish though it may sound, the oft quoted saying: when BA sneezes the rest of the British airline industry catches a cold = we get paid more, you get paid more....and I hope you all do.

There, that's a bit of a spleen vent isn't it.

Bottom line....go for it BALPA, you've got Pontius at your side!!

Toodle pip,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!