PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots who went on strike let go by PHI
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 08:23
Revolutionary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that the SEC filing covers only the period up to September 30th and so only includes the first ten days of the strike. I'm guessing the union was anxiously awaiting this report, hoping it would signal a need for PHI to resume negotiations. However it seems that the financial impact of the strike isn't sufficient at this point to force PHI back to the table. The next financial disclosure will of course show a greater loss but isn't out for another three months, and any negative effect of the strike will by that time be largely offset by the influx of new hires.

I wonder what the union plans to do in the meantime. They have to make themselves part of the process again somehow. As it is, they are on the sidelines and unless they make a move their numbers will dwindle until the last man either quits PHI (and by extension local 108) or goes back to work. What if the union offered to take PHI's last proposal out to a vote? I know it would seem to some like capitulation but it might just be the only alternative to extinction.

The union maintains that there was never a complete proposal to vote on but come on, can they just gather up the implementation package, make sure every article is covered, and call it 'The Proposal'?