PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2006, 06:59
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
about the Tornado pilot who extended at the top of some looping manoueuvre for positioning but kept the power in, therefore accelerating whilst level inverted and pulling down at a greater speed than he otherwise would have, and sadly not making it around at the bottom.
F4 - RAF Abingdon

Notes for Display Pilots

I do remember being at Farnborough in 1984 when the Buffalo crashed. They were demonstrating a short landing and landed, shall we say, a little firmly. The undercarriage/wing structure did exactly as designed and crumpled to absorb the impact, leaving the aircraft sat on the end of the runway as the crew sheepishly crawled out.

Which reminds me of the story, well before my time and it may be false, of the story of a Gannet crash.

IIRC the story went that they used to shut down half the Mamba and feather one prop to show how they could fly on one. They then tried to restart the other during a low pass and unfeathered the second prop, the engine did not start and the additional drag caused the aircraft to sink and touch the ground where it slid along till coming to a stop with the engine still roaring away. The crew then shut down, exited the aircraft and gave a wave and a bow to the crowd, before retiring in a dignified manner back to the squadron.....