PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2006, 22:28
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkBHX
the Marketing department at BHX all try really hard to attract new airlines and routes, just look at the last few years: EK, AI, WW and ZB! And so passenger figures are going down at the moment, what can the Marketing team do if their hands are tied by the top brass and shareholders????
In a nutshell: they can resign. That's what principled people do when asked to do a job without being provided with the means to do it. I stand by my comment: to try to attract new airlines without having the option of lowering costs such as landing fees is ludicrous. I guess it's OK with you to have the world's fourth highest landing fees turning potential business away and yet do nothing about it.

As for attracting "new" airlines over the past couple of years, let's see:

Emirates wanted to tap into the Midlands Asian community (as did Air India), so they were always going to open the route anyway.

Baby wanted to set up a major low-cost base at an airport where traditional LCCs (excluding FlyBe) were not represented (ignoring the thrice-daily Ryanair BHX-DUB)

ZB... a new carrier at BHX? Gimme a break! Once and for all, it's Monarch doing a scheduled service instead of an IT charter - using the same aircraft type. Yes, that means they will base more aircraft , but bear in mind that Monarch Scheduled started at Luton (as the Crown Service) then expanded to Manchester. Monarch was always going to set up new ZB routes out of airports they already flew IT charters from. The fact that they use a different 2-letter code for the ZB routes does NOT mean it's a new operator at BHX.

Cheers