PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 9th Nov 2006, 21:45
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fully Ready

Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
CX wants to upgrade you.

If you are not ready, you will not be upgraded.

Talk to your line Captains and get some free advice on your strengths and weaknesses. This information will not normally be offered unless you ask.
So after 10 years flying heavy jets you are saying that 40% - 50% of cx FOs are not ready for command ? That this is not a failure of the training department ? Wow !

"This information will not normally be offered..." just about sums up cx's training department !

As for "physical manipulation", (which I assume means flying "the jet") not entirely true. People are held back all the time at the JFO upgrade for said lack of manipulative skills. Pilots are also Cat B'd because of Line checks and/or sim rides that were less than stellar in the manipulatin' department.

What is the common thread and most likely root of the problem ? ....LACK OF SECTORS and LACK OF NON THREATENING SIM SESSIONS. A pilot at Cathay is not given the chance to explore his weaknesses and improve on them in ANY sim sessions here at Cathay. Even the "handling" and T(x) sims come with extensive written reports. So where and when can a pilot put up his hand and say "I need to practice landings.." or 'give me another V1 cut at rotation..." you hardly ever hear that and why ? Because they will write a report on it !! You hardly ever fly here and yet you are written up for "lack of local knowledge"..."had to repeat radio transmission"...."gave briefing in wrong order"...."not assertive enough"...."too assertive.." "too N. American"..."too conservative on approach.." These types of comments that are in no way safety related are over the top. In my book if a pilot clarifies a radio transmitted clearance etc. that is good airmanship. Yes there are extremes, if he needs to clarify every one well maybe not so good. Clarifying one or two in this neighborhood is good practice but not on a line check cause you will get written up for it ! That is just one example of how pedantiscism has been misinterpreted as "High Standards". I love high standards, I want them followed and I want them written down.

I have been trained to do something the sim and then written up for it on a ride ! What a joke ! At a more reasonable airline the checker might say " hey where did you get that from?" then go and fix the problem at the training meetings. Or how about after noticing something a comment like " I notice you did your flow in this order...the fleet's accepted way is this.. carry on well done do it right next time since you covered everything and flew safely !"

At the moment the above scenarios would result is a quick briefing (possibly a running briefing during the ride itself) and then a surprise ERAS with extras !

Soap box off

I am off to manipulate now....cheers