PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 30% pay rise??
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2001, 02:51
Raw Data

Amazing how many people run off at the mouth without actually READING what is WRITTEN. For the benefit of those who have jumped to conclusions without engaging brains, let me just clarify for you:

I am in favour of:

- Union action (and strong action too) as a LAST RESORT when all negotiation has failed.

- A substantial general increase in pay and conditions for British pilots- they deserve it.

- British pilots being a little more insistent that their union works for their interests- BALPA do not seem particularly interested in improving our lot- Mr Darkes' very substantial renumeration should be linked to performance IMHO. I can't see how he justifies that sort of salary.

- An assertive recognition that pilots are not just aerial bus drivers, as the public are increasingly perceiving us to be. We deserve a LOT more than we get, when you take into account the nature of the job.

I am against:

- Union bully-boy tactics- a return to the Britain of the 50's.

- Any form of action against those whose conscience prevents them from joining a union (however short-sighted and self-serving that might be). I would however say that such people should be excluded from any union-negotiated improvements, if possible.

- A strong and effective union with hard-nosed and results-oriented officials. Our present union is a limp fish compared to those in most first-world countries.

Finally, I believe that most things can be achieved by skillful negotiation- in a sense, if a strike happens both sides have lost. If you want to see an example of how not to do things, check out the archives on the recent Ansett NZ dispute in New Zealand. A disaster for all concerned. Also, I stand by what I said about factors besides money- these things are important as well.

Disagree with me if you want, but disagree with what I have written, not what you THINK I have written!!