PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Danger Area's, a question?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2006, 16:14
Ni Thomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having ploughed the oggin for nigh on 40 years in ships ranging from 4000dwt up to 500,000 tdwt ones, one does tend to lean away from getting too close to notified danger areas. Part of ones survival technique is to avoid danger areas when live firing is taking place especially when carrying umpteen millions of gallons of crude oil! Belive you me it can spoil your day.
My experiences would advise that, in civilised countries, whenever and wherever a marine designated danger area is going to be active a NAV Warning is issued (In effect a NOTAM). Usually one or two small boats (destroyer, range support, paddle or whatever) are deployed to patrol the area, land based radars squint out to see what's there and a nice man or lady chats to potential miscreants on Channel 16.
The less civilised areas just fire and you hope they miss.
Many is the tiime I've come out of Milford Haven to be warned of dangerous goings on in the nearby ranges. Nice blokes but what a boring job!
For those travelling along the Jurassic coast betwixt Portland and St.Alban's Head you may espy the radar scanners right on the edge of the cliffs (if they are whizzing around, it's a good indication that perhaps you shouldn't be there - that and the odd splash, the occasional whiff of spent cordite and whistling noises )