PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - white poppy
Thread: white poppy
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2006, 12:45
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Red Poppy was inspired by the First World War. A War that had NOTHING to do with defending freedom, democracy or free speech.
Irrelevant, IMHO. The Poppy is about the individuals, soldiers, sailors and airmen, who paid the ultimate price in duty for this country, and those who were left behind. The reasons behind conflicts are a matter for politicians not servicemen. I note that no organization has ever seen fit to issue a poppy for politicians, but if they did I would suggest the colour brown.

Those who choose to wear a white poppy as some sort of trendy, 'stop the war' statement should have their white poppy shoved firmly up their arse. Likewise, the PC fluffists and communist councillors who seek to oppose Remembrance Day (because it is not 'inclusive', I have heard) need to have a look at history and realise that those who gave their lives in defence of our country include, men and women, all nationalities of the Empire, Commonwealth and beyond, all religions, all ethnic groups (apart from those damn Eskimos), the disabled, all age groups and, I dare say, homosexuals (heaven help us). You wouldn't get this much diversity at one of Cherie Blair's publicly funded Chequers dinner parties!