PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lighten our darkness, oh Lord! The lighting thread
Old 8th Nov 2006, 18:13
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tad condensed there BOAC.
In order to produce more thrust at take-off, the aircraft can take-off either 'un-pressurised', or 'pressurised'

Errrmmmm.....
  • Both unpressurised and pressurised take-offs produce more thrust than a 'normal' take-off?
  • So for 'normal' take-off there is a third option? An if so, what would that be?
  • More thrust at take-off would be needed for taking off from a shortish runway, for taking off at a high altitude airport where the air is thinner of for a take off with max TOW?
  • OK, for a likely even more stupid question, what is the function of this 'extra' air provided either by the APU's compressor or the bleed air from the engines? More air at higher pressure makes for faster/more powerful fuel burning?
I do realise that you chaps are indulging me here, and that understanding all this is of no use whatsoever to an ageing trolley tart. It's just that I've always been more interested in technical stuff than in reading the Hello!