PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Open Skies
Thread: Open Skies
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2006, 11:29
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effect of US election results on Open Skies?

Thanks, The SSK, for pointing this out; I had always assumed that the US position was what we were fighting for, i.e. routes between the two, but that the waters had been muddied because of the EU (primarily UK) wish for investment in US carriers. Frankly, I've always had a suspicion that this was brought in by BA/AA to muddy the waters, as the last thing they want is to have any further competition on LHR-US flights. Unfortunately, the EU fell for this. Maybe I'm being unfair; it's just the way I see it.

While most people outside the US (and obviously, quite a few more inside) will be relieved at the US election results, I'm wondering what it will mean for the prospects for Open Skies? The fact that the Democrats are likely to control both houses (as of this writing, with both Montana and Virginia likely to go to the Dems).

Open Skies has been a major initiative of the DOT and since the President is a lame duck, isn't there are risk that this will be one of the policy initiatives which could be stopped? I believe (without being 100% certain) that the Democrats will have control of all committees and that will include the Aviation Committee.

If this happens, what then? There will be lots of lobbying by those against change and a lot of pressure to hold out for what they believe to be a better deal. With regard to the argument above, that the US will wait until its airlines are stronger before going into Open Skies, surely one of the benefits of foreign ownership is that this strength can be added from outside?

Hopefully, we can get some indication in the near future as to what the new Congress will want to do and in particular, its attitude towards O/S.

From a US perspective, how do things look now - more or less optimistic about O/S?