PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 30% pay rise??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2001, 14:01
exeng

Airbubba,

To an extent what you say about our cultural differences is true. To quite a number of people in our profession taking industrial action would be perceived as reducing our level to that of the ‘working classes’. In part snobbery still rules over here I’m afraid. Status over here is determined not so much by how much you are paid but by what you actually do to earn that pay. That attitude is changing, but slowly.

B.A. have also managed a remarkably effective policy of ‘divide and rule’ making unity within the workforce very difficult. I believe it is finally beginning to dawn on us all that firm and cohesive action will be only method to ensure a fair remuneration across the board. Nobody enjoys the prospect of strike action of course, but many of us have now realised that all the years of talk and no action have led us to the point that we find ourselves now.

We have seen years of mismanagement and general corporate waste in B.A., much of it funded by the pay packets of all groups of staff within the airline. Consequently we now have a workforce with very low moral. I hope our new leader, RE, recognizes the situation that he finds himself in and does not surround himself by sycophants (as the last fellow did) who only tell him what he wishes to hear.

I hope common sense will prevail very soon, if not then I can see a very bloody fight looming.

What you have achieved over in the U.S.A. by UNITY has provided a fine example of what can be achieved over here. Good on you all, and I hope you continue to enjoy your hard won prosperity.

Regards
Exeng