PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - on flying with polished ice on your wing
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 23:21
Roadrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recall reading any reference to the possible affect of engine failure during TO when carry ice and snow on the wing and fuselage. A lot of people get away with TO carrying unacceptable amounts of contamination because they don't suffer an engine failure.

The slightest amount of contamination, eg. frost on a wing similar to a very fine grade sandpaper, results in up to a 30% reduction in lift and a 40% increase in drag. Add to that a failed engine and the bravest out there might start to sweat just a little.

So many companies, especially operators of freighters believe it is good enough to determine go or no go re the wing/fuselage at least, by looking from the top of the stairs. I have proved that to be woefully inadequate, by actually getting up and inspecting the wing up close.

I agree with comments re the total folly of accepting snow blowing off the a/c during TO. SAS have extensive material on the subject and they advise that you should never presume contamination will clear during TO.
Sound advice and worth heeding I believe.

The problem is that crew allow themselves to be pressure into not de-icing as it costs money and can delay the flight. Remember that companies write all sorts of stuff in their manuals to cover their back sides re cold weather operations and then often expect you to ignore it to keep the show on the road.
If you are caught breaking these rules for expediency, the company lawyers will burn you to save the company from litigation. You are only doing yourself a disservice by pushing the envelope.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 8th Nov 2006 at 04:53.