PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which chart are you using?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 22:49
Alpine Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have been using Jepps ever since my IFR training and still find them nice to use. Had a short affair with old Swissair (KSSU?) plates which had some nice "airline tailored" features but wouldn't match Jepp in overall useability.

I had a look at the AERAD examples after reading through this thread and found the SOF plate nicely designed. I still like the Jepp better as the new "quick briefing" format IMHO gives a better overview at a glance AND Jepp has metric conversion tables on the individual pages rather than a supplementary page.

Jepp is starting to add more colour and better terrain info for a special "airline" series of charts. Haven't seen them so far, though.

IMHO Jeppesen profits from a large user base and lots of input and experience. They make errors but usually correct them within a week or two if told.

One of the main reasons my airline wouldn't switch to another provider is the scope of Jeppesen. When using SAS plates you have quite a lead time to get plates for a new airport while Jeppesen has everything with any kind of instrument approach a download away. So you'd end up using two kinds of charts for the occasional ad-hoc charter, with the unfamiliar Jepps used for the unfamiliar destinations

I actually do like the thin paper as it keeps the manuals lighter. Jeppesen will replace a reasonable number of charts free of charge and if you keep your favourites in a plastic wrap you can leave the rest unprotected as long as you don't cram the binders which frays the "top" and "bottom" pages quickly.
(If this is useful depends a lot on whether you fly to the same 5-10 airports all the time or only visit a place every other month/quarter/year.)

Overall I'd prefer almost any kind of EFB solution to weekly revisions......