PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 7th Nov 2006, 15:13
planecrazy.eu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All...

Im not too sure how true this is, but i am very very inclined to agree with it.

I was told that a recommendation from a FTO, Instructor, or other airline pro's that have good links is far more useful than a Degree or A'Levels.

I was told A'Levels are used by airlines only when they are taking Ab-Inito cadets, as they can see that you cope with study well. A'Levels are used as a filter, but after initial selection they are no longer needed, then its down to interviews and selection tests.

I was then told that a degree would not hold any value when i come to apply, but at the same time i was told that if i had started i should finish as a degree is the best insurance plan against loss of licence and to aid the pay back of the loan before a first job is aquired.

I wouldnt mind some input on this, i am pretty sure that i have read many times that a degree is useless in the industry for getting a job, and i think i finally agree. Despite this, i will still get my degree for purposes such as self satisfaction and a little insurance or fall back plan.

I too have had a full time job, and studdied GCSE and A Levels, but this didnt work with my HND, as i failed the HND due to not putting in the time.

I have also looked over the ATPLS and found that GCSE levels gives you all the knowledge you need to solve any of the equations or problems, A'level at a pass point would be over what is required in my opinion.

Another thing i want to add is that i have spoke to a number of CTC Cadets and Cabair cadets, and not yet found one with a Degree in an aviation related subject, most i have spoke too took business. Alot have just A'levels and some have neither.

I would love to get into CTC, but i dont think they are any more impressed about degrees, just the A'levels. I say this, as to my knowledge, education is covered in phase one of CTC, and once passed, then its down to those four questions they ask you and education is not put into the equation again? I may be wrong, and if i am, i am more than happy to be put right...

So please, if you know different for sure, please tell me, as i would like to be put right...

One last thing, i agree with Danny too, A'Level is in a different world compared to GCSE. The difference is, you have to stick out GCSEs but Not A Levels, if you pick a subject at school you couldnt wait to get out of, you just going to end up wasting you time. I did that, took AS Biology, even though i hated it at school. A sensable choice would have been, i like Business and i like/can cope with simple maths, so Business studdies and accounts would have been ideal...