PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Tornado GR4 still supersonic?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 13:48
ex-ranker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up modified support brackets

Originally Posted by The Rocket
No problems whatsoever old chap.

Welcome to the Pprune school of Pedantry

Slightly intrigued by your comments about the modification of the support brackets for the strut however. I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that the brackets although subject to frequent NDT testing, are actually fairly sound, and that this is more a process of monitoring than actually modifying.

However, I am more than happy to be corrected on this issue, as I in no way profess to be an expert on the matter.
thanks Rocket,

Yes, the brackets and frame x-8000 are subject to NDT mainly at primary star maintenance, however many of the GR4 updated airframes (even after subsequent major) have a GR1 mounting bracket and locking mechanisms fitted (Hi-LOK fasteners and a redundant, actuator support bracket.) the MOD is relatively simple (or it might even be an RTI now):

'Remove old support bracket, remove HI-LOKs and recover aircraft'.

However the HI-LOKS are sometimes a complete nightmare to remove without damaging surrounding structure (they either shear off at the base or are stuck fast so you need to "pursuade" them out). So not a nice job especially as every GR4 i've come across, this MOD/RTI still needs doing!

hopefully this is an insight (not a preach or lecture!) as to mechanics of the GR4 ramps.

oh, dont get me started on Kruegar flaps!