PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class C radar direction
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 01:38
Albizia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
By the way, why is no one answering the original post? That is, how would an air traffic controller handle a VFR aircraft at Albury in the circumstances quoted?
"REX378, cleared visual approach, requirement reach A065 by 8 dme AY"
Assuming VFR tracking west 270R to east 090R via overhead AY

Dick, if the VFR isn't tracking directly overhead there are also a number of what are referred to as "prominent topographical features" which can also be used for procedural separation.

I am an ex AY ATC, and cannot ever recall turning someone 90 degrees or similar, in fact with the topography, river, roads, towns, it is quite easy to separate procedurally in and out of AY. I even spoke to you a few times as you flew over without delay .

The oft quoted 10 minutes that you refer to for procedural separation is not really a tool that is used that often is a Class D/C tower, there just isn't enough airspace, the 10 minutes is more an enroute tool. The 15/30, 10/20, 5/15, 1 NM procedural buffer, lateral separation are much more often used by towers. I'm sure you have access to MATS so I won't go in to too much more detail.

Sometimes yes, the VFR aircraft may need to adjust track slightly, same as sometimes the IFR does (ever heard a clearance similar to "REX379 track amended 200R till leaving A085 thence direct ELW planned route"?). I'll give you a hint, nine times out of ten that is due to a VFR out there at A075, that wait for it, the IFR is being moved around.

"Clearance not available remain outside class C/D airspace" does not mean a clearance won't ever be available, it means I am sorting something out with someone else who already has a clearance, and as soon as I can I'll give you one. Hint, call 10 minutes prior to boundary and I doubt you will ever need to change heading by more than 10 degrees or so to get your clearance.

Of course those who report position as 378NM to run MIA may need to call a little earlier!

Can our airspace be made more efficient, absoloutely! However I don't believe that the "road blocks" over C/D towers is where we need to start.