PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne drop by Paras planned to reinforce in Afghanistan
Old 6th Nov 2006, 11:20
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blunted at Birth (love the name)

Yes, you are quite right. In 2003, Op CERTAIN DEATH plans involved a large formation of US hercs flying close to Bagdhad (30-ish, I think, with all the right protection and ESF) but with a few of ours (no 'kit' at all) tacked on the back as 'tail-end-charlies'. Thankfully, DSF/PJHQ wouldn't let us have our Mk3s back so it was a non-starter (alledgedly, you could hear the crews' huge sigh of relief all the way back in Lyneham).

In the event, even the spams realised the futility and stupidity of this plan and it was cancelled. Nonetheless, 16AAB and the paras were so keen to prove their worth, they were willing to jump from US ac - and who can blame them? The politics of this, I suspect, were too embarassing to contemplate.

Flip

ABIW - Yeah, I suspect that 4-6000' amsl might be problem - but I haven't retained that amount knowledge about MSP clearances!
In which case, I bow to your more current knowledge. As a result, the troops won't be going in with any transport other than what you can get on CDS/ME/AE-type baseboards (supercats and motorbikes etc). Therefore, this drop will, by definition, be a non-doctrinal para assault/admin drop to a totally secure DZ (one hopes) - for which we still require 7 spare suitable ac (of any type)....do we have that many lying about unused? That's even before you consider the para/SKE/AAR quals and currencies of the crews. 1, 2 or 3 minute-stream anyone?

That said, a long-range para-insertion would be an impressive result from 16 AAB/2 Gp perspective. However, would it not be a whole lot simpler and safer to exercise the RAL (Rapid/Rushed Air-Land) option at a 'nearby' airfield/strip (I can think of at least 2) and have troops pick up their transport there?

Should they persist with the para option, I agree that maybe Op TURKEY SHOOT might be a good 'handle'!

Last edited by flipster; 6th Nov 2006 at 16:27.