PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last NCO Pilot entry?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2006, 00:38
NutLoose

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by teeteringhead

Taff Walker was indeed the last flying non-commissioned pilot in the RAF - for that he got his picture on the cover of Air Clues when he retired.

And what a Gentleman too..

I seem to remember him being interviewed about the time of his impending retirement by some young lady reporter asking how did he feel when after flying all the other pilots went to the Officers Mess and he had to go to the Sergeants and his reply was not printable

He once in a while regailed some of his wartime flights and If memory serves me right he mentioned returning of one mission shot up and lost with wounded onboard when the runway lights came on, upon landing the lights suddenly went out and a German Halftrack appeared out of the dark guns firing............. he said although he had no idea what was in front of him he just nailed the throttles fwd.

He was presented with a Solid Silver Wessex on his retirement...

Was there not a ex Master Pilot as the SWO at Odiham at the same time who had came to that position Via ATC?
I had arrived as a young impressionable LAC from training at the Guardroom, knocking on the hatch this face appeared and asked me if I knew anything about growing tomatoes, which took me aback somewhat ( he was having some problems with his in the greenhouse around the back of the Guardroom)................ Invited in and having a cup of coffee made by him I enquired of one of the Guards who he was to be told it was the SWO !!