PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI lose S76 in GOM
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2006, 19:58
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't believe PHI will call on another company for SAR until it absolutely has to. It also will not willingly help other companies. The Dir of Ops refused to allow me to launch to search for the Era S76 until Era agreed to pay for the flight. I was still the first aircraft on the scene, beating the USCG by some time, after an hour delay.
Pitiful behaviour. No wonder things are so screwed up in the Gulf.

I have always instructed my crews to use their own initiative and discretion to use any company assets in order to provide assistance for any life in danger. Not that it be done in a dangerous or reckless manner, but maintaining the safety of themselves, the crew, the aircraft and the victim, in an organised approach. Certainly offering aircraft and any available assistance if their is an organized rescue effort underway, is the very least a neighbour could do.

I was taught this response by my first ever employer, and have continued it throughout my career. We have directly saved many lives as a result of this policy. One crewmember recieved an international award as a result of his actions. Another saved the life of a contractors employee, by providing CPR all the way to hospital, and certainly saving the life of the victim - only to die himself two days later as the result of a tragic accident. More typical were the opportunities to save lives simply by providing expedient transportation to people who in many cases would not have survived without it.

We never wondered about who would pay, and you know what, I never had anyone who didn't quietly and without fuss arrange to reimburse us for our costs - all at cost! Hey, and if they didn't pay, so what. It is simply not an issue.

What goes around comes around. God forbid someone dies while you figure out who will pay the bill! It might be you that dies as a result of that indecision!