PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK training
Thread: EK training
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2006, 10:24
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't have posted that last comment, but thought it needed to be said as so many come from North America/other places unaware/unprepared for the different style. Not saying it is all for the worse, but it is definitely different. As TU pointed out, the training places far less emphasis on systems knowledge which makes the actual "type" ride ( PPC ) easier. There is certainly more emphasis on decision making and certain generic book knowledge. Line training versus a North American carrier is far more involved and, owing to EK's extensive route network, the exposure to different regions is necessary.

Standardization is an issue and can be very frustrating for students when they are told conflicting ways that something must be done. Hopefully that will improve in the near future.

Student performance is held to a higher level than it would be in North America. Getting graded on each training session, especially being graded on something the first time you ever do it takes some getting used to. The best advice given to me and one I pass along is to "hit the ground running" when you arrive at EK. That means you want to excel from day one, not be a know it all, but just be prepared for each training session and do a little bit of extra work. It's still a small airline in many respects and poor performance initially can and does follow you through for the rest of your career at EK. It's very difficult to change that initial impression.

Tell us XXXX what you are doing to improve it.
There are many good instructors at EK, at least on the Boeing , whether or not I'm one of them is for the students to say. I try my best to give a good training session and hopefully the student walks away with a better understanding of the material covered.

Maybe Typhoon's comment regarding the wall/head bashing is from an Instructor's point of view.....
Not initially, but it is very annoying when someone shows up unprepared.

Over the course of several days, when his Mum wasn't looking, he kept putting his finger in the pie, and low and behold after several days there was no more pie.
Hopefully there are more kids in that house, otherwise that one kid will get fat

TP