PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Crosswind Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2006, 10:19
DC-Mainliner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always employed the crab technique that gets squeezed out in the flare. As the crab gets squeezed out, some mild bank get's placed into the mix to control last second drift as the upwind main gear touches down followed by the downwind main gear and an active nosewheel fly down with increasing aileron input into the wind.

One true benefit of this teqnique is better recognition of changing conditions like windshear as the aircraft is flying "straight", aerodynamically speaking (normal thrust and control inputs all the way down to the flare). And for transition to larger equipment, no big jump in landing technique is needed.

I first started using it in my CE-402 days and it served me well in commuter, corporate and 727/737/MD-80 jets. It takes a small while to master the timing but it is a very effective technique used by most of the pilots I've flown with.

One potential disadvantage to using a basic sideslip technique in turbojet aircraft (besides striking a pod in a wing mounted airplane) is the potential to stall the inlet flow into the engines and create potential engine issues. You would have to be really agressive in sideslip to do this in modern aircraft but some crosswinds may require agressive corrections that may not feel aggressive to the flying pilot when in the heat of the battle.

The autoland programs I've seen (B-737 300/400/700/900 and MD-83) fly the aircraft in a manner that squeezes out the crab late in the round out and then uses a "modified and mild" slip technique for the last second or two. Essentially it looked a lot like a basic crab technique but autoland programs I personally have worked with also had lower crosswind limits available to cope with conditions we might see in a hand flown gusty landing when you can't sit out the mandatory portion of the flight.