PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2006, 09:10
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because you have gone down the fATPL and then FI rating route it doesn't mean you lack a passion for flight or get a buzz out of a good crosswind landing.

I tire of reading on here the kind of drivel that says "these young FI's these days don't know what they are talking about and are only in it for the hours" etc. "Bring back the PPL Instructor Rating - those guys are much better".

When I first started Instructing an experience PPL said to me and I quote "Your may have only got 250 hours flight time, but you have got 250 hours flight time of being trained. I have 500 hours, but 450 of those have been spent developing bad habbits".

I can assure you shortstripper they don't just give out things like CPL/IR/FI ratings willy nilly. You have to work damn hard to get those ATPL passes and get the examiner to sign your bit of paper on your flight test.

I take pride in trying to deliver quality instruction to my students and am constantly picking the brains of the experienced FI's at my club. And that is despite my ultimate goal being to get a job in the RHS of a jet. The amount I have learnt over a cup of tea on a rainy day or a beer at the end of flying.

And the thing at the moment I actually long for the most? To actually get away from my airfield on some nice social cross country flying - the kind of stuff that so many on hear seem to think counts for more then anything else when it comes to imparting flying knowledge it seems.

Anyway just felt I needed to get that off my chest. No doubt I will be slated for it.