PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I must be missing something - USB Mouse with Win XP
Old 4th Nov 2006, 20:00
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SaabD

Thanks for the suggestions:
The mouse could be faulty
Not sure, I see it respond to the USB initialisation when XP starts up so balance of probabilities suggests it's OK. Only got it today so plan to take it to work on Monday and try it on colleagues docking station which already has USB mouse.

Have you tried to manually install a driver for the USB device seen in Device Manager?
Lenovo has the Windows distribution on the hard disc, but DM couldn't find any drivers to load from it when I tried. Good point though, will try it on Desktop as I have the CD here. <Thinks> Oh no - this desktop also has the MS distribution on the hard disc

Have searched MS site for hw driver updates and none applicable to the USB mouse available.

On the laptop, have you had an external (PS2) mouse installed previously? If so, delete it from the system.
No PS2 port available, it's the light weight V100 (?) so has minimal ports except three USBs - hence USB mouse which is first to be added after the touchpoint on the keyboard.

If not, check that the BIOS is set to use an external mouse - it is usually possible to set the BIOS to only use the built-in pointer OR use internal and external.
Hadn't thought of that - will take a look thanks. Did look in CP but as USB mouse hadn't registered only had the choice of one device - the touchpoint.

Wouldn't explain why it doesn't work on your desktop though.
Looking at TechRepublic forums - this may be an XP issue which would account for the desktop having the problem too.

As an aside, had a gash PC built from various spare junk that I used to use for this kind of thing as I could crash & burn it. However oldest son made the case to take it back to Uni with him as he has Linux based modelling software he needs to run, so nothing here to test it on now. Hence I appreciate the various suggestions.